Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Gabriel Method

If you have explored this blog, you might have noticed that I have a list of my "must reads". I'm slowly adding books and articles that have struck a chord with me during my journey. One is the book "The Gabriel Method"


I just started re-reading it yesterday and am remembering why is was so pivotal for me when I read it early in my journey (Oct 2010). It is a bit out there, its a different way of thinking for sure. But, it really resonates with me. Everything I read I just want to say "YES! That is so true for me!".

The basic premise (although I don't know say it as well as he does), is that there is a strong connection between your mind and your body. If you don't get your mind and body on the same page when you are trying to make changes, then the changes will be a battle. That's what weight loss often feels like, right? We restrict our diet, work our butts off and sometimes see no results. We feel like our body is fighting back, not wanting to give into the changes. Jon Gabriel explains the "whys" behind that. He gives lots of techniques for helping to get your body on board with what you want in your mind. There is a lot of visualization, positive thinking, and changing your beliefs about what you are capable of. 

These things are so huge for me! I tend to be very hard on myself. I tend to see people who have accomplished great things and I think "Great for them, but I will never be able to do that/look like that" etc. I know their is power of our beliefs. When I do have moments of knowing I can accomplish something, and truly believing it, I DO IT! I am determined now to get my body on board! To get my mind in line and believe that I can create the body I want. I've found pictures to motivate me. I'm doing the meditations/visualizations. I'm listening to his meditation CD at night as I fall asleep (ok, I've done it once, but I plan to do it nightly). And I am speaking to myself in a positive way. I am creating an environment where I feel safe and my body knows that it is safe to do what is necessary to get to where I want to be.

Another thing I really like is that he is against depriving yourself! He explains why restricting the amount/type of foods you eat is actually detrimental to your goals. He focuses instead on adding nutrients to your diet first. Once you start adding nutrients and giving your body what it really needs first, your body will start to learn what it doesn't want and your cravings will adjust, but at first, you eat what you want to eat. Obviously this is all within reason, but it makes sense, and its an approach that I can handle! I have kind of been doing that for a while now already and I notice it does help. If I focus more on getting what I'm supposed to get and less on NOT getting what i'm not allowed, I do MUCH better and I feel more satisfied with the food i'm eating.

So, that is my review of the book during this re-reading. I will keep you all posted with my progress and any other insight I gain from it as I keep reading. I hope my blog is helping motivate someone out there in the world wide web. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment