Thursday, October 9, 2014

Week 5: Day 2!

Day 2: Warm-up, 8 minute Run, 5 minute walk, 8 minute run, Cool-Down

Ryan and I were both very nervous to move on to day 2. 8 minutes seemed like a really long time! We are not above repeating days, and were considering repeating day 1, but we decided to give it a shot. We told ourselves that if we were really struggling we could take short walk breaks during the 8 minutes if we needed to. We started our first run, and to both of our surprise, we felt really good! We finished the first run and were glad for the long walk break, but ready to go again when it was time to run the next 8. It was a little harder the second time, but still we managed to do it feeling pretty good. I carefully watched out pace to make sure we didn't push too fast. We tried to stay around 10:30-11:00 minute mile. We were so proud when we finished it with no walk breaks during both 8's. I think we will repeat it before moving on, the next run is 20 minutes! But I was grateful to feel good.

After Monday's run I was kinda sore. My hips and feet and knee were aching and I got very discouraged. Its so frustrating to not just be able to do exactly what I want to be able to do. But, I stopped wallowing, bought a bunch of cold weather running gear, set up an appointment with my favorite Sports Medicine Chiropractor, and rested. I chose not to run Tuesday even though I wanted to, and went to see the doctor. He worked on my trouble spots and gave me some good advice. I was happy that I felt good to run yesterday and that the run went well. After the run I went to my cycle class to spin out my legs and then came home and got straight in an ice bath. The things crazy things we do to recover well! I know I have to be really careful and listen carefully to my body if I want to be able to keep at this, so I'm trying to do just that. I think I might have to get another pair of running shoes with more cushion for now while I'm building up, so I'm saving my pennies to look into that option.


Sitting in the compression machine at the Doctor's office.

Yep, that's a block of ice in my bathtub.

No comments:

Post a Comment