Tuesday, January 7, 2014

5 weeks post-op

Today is 5 weeks! I'm feeling good. I'm working out. I'm doing all of my regular activity. My incision is still giving me trouble, but they told me it would probably take a month to heal up, so its expected. It does hurt, but its not horrible.

The biggest question I get is if it was worth it. If I am happy I went though it. The answer is a resounding YES. Was it painful? Yes. Was it stressful on my family? Yes. But it has totally changed things for me. I feel confident again for the first time in 8 years. I went to the mall yesterday and it was SO MUCH FUN! I actually like trying on clothes! Right now I'm not even a different size than I was in most things, but everything fits me so much better that I love it. I expect I will go down a pant size as the swelling decreases, but even if it doesn't, I'm happy. If nothing changed from how I am right now (except my incision closing) I would be happy. Even if the scar stayed red and visible, and I stayed as swollen as I am today, I would absolutely be happy.

I should mention that as of right now my weight is within 1-2 pounds of what I was pre-op. This was not a weight loss surgery! They removed about 5 pounds of tissue, but because I haven't been active, and I have swelling, my weight is the same. I am trying to lose a few pounds during the healing process to get to my goal range, and it would be good to do it soon while my skin is still healing so it stays tight, but even if I don't succeed in that, I'll be happy. I am tracking my measurements and i'm down 3 or 4 inches since surgery, and as I said, I expect it to keep going down as the swelling decreases. The pictures from today were right after an intense workout, so about as swollen as I get right now, and I'm pretty happy with how its coming along.

Skinny jeans and a fitted shirt, never would I have worn this combination before surgery!

A picture of the binder I'm always talking about. Just a giant stretchy band that goes from my hips to my bra line and velcros to itself. I still wear it 24/7 except to shower.

And the belly. The sweats kind of push up my love handles, they look better than that when I'm not wearing a tight band around my hips (note to self, wear the looser pants for pictures). :) As you can see the sides of my incision are very inflamed, the side on my left is the open wound, about an inch long and 1/2 wide, I decided to spare you a close up picture. The right side has a small sore but it is healing up nicely. Overall, I'm very happy. I'm excited to be back to my workouts this week and see how that helps things tighten up even more. I'm nice and sore from my lifting workout yesterday, and I LOVE IT! I put 10 miles on my bike this morning, and it was great to be reunited. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment